Company Info: VCA Inc. owns, operates, and manages the largest
network of freestanding veterinary hospitals and veterinary
clinical reference laboratories in North America, with over 900
hospitals located in the U.S. states and Canada, and more than 55
clinical laboratories. VCA is also a leading supplier of diagnostic
imaging equipment to the veterinary industry, as well as operating
a franchisor of premier dog daycare facilities. If you are a
current employee, you need to apply through our internal career
site. Please log into Workday and click on the Career worklet on
the landing page or search for Find Jobs. You can also copy the
link below into a browser to apply through our internal career
Capital Area Veterinary Emergency and Specialty is an
AAHA-accredited, 24-hour emergency and specialty referral practice
in Concord, New Hampshire. VCA Capital Area Veterinary
Emergency and Specialty anAAHA-accredited, 24-hour emergency and
specialty referral practice in Concord, New Hampshire is looking
for an experienced Medical Director to lead our team!
We're looking for someone who exudes leadership! We are looking
for board certified or practice limited to candidates. We look
forward to hearing from you!
Concord, NH is the capital city of New Hampshire and is within 1
hour of the ocean and mountains yet only 1 hour to Boston, MA.
Known for its beautiful fall foliage and change of seasons, there
are plenty of activities year round to look forward to during your
time off. Concord was rated as “most livable city” in 2012 by
Boston Magazine, and is an ideal place to raise a family. We have a
moderate caseload affording a good quality of life and offer a
competitive salary and benefits package.
In addition to our Emergency Clinicians, we have specialists in
Internal Medicine, Surgery, Ophthalmology, Dermatology, Radiology
consultations via telemedicine, have access to outpatient
ultrasound and offer I-131 therapy. Our beautiful, new, 14,000 sq.
ft. facility is fully equipped with: continuous EKG monitoring,
Doppler BP, ultrasound (Logic 5), endoscopy (gastroduodenoscopy,
colonoscopy, bronchoscopy, rhinoscopy, and cystoscopy),
laparoscopy, and digital radiography.
The Medical Director (MD) under direction of the field
management team, is responsible for establishing the medical
quality and patient care practiced by all doctors in a given
hospital. The MD achieves this through strong leadership and
serving as a mentor and role model for the associate veterinarians
and staff. A MD should demonstrate a strong work ethic, integrity,
and a consistent positive attitude. The MD is also an integral part
of the hospital management team responsible for the overall
financial performance of the hospital, and helps create and drive
the overall direction for the hospital that will achieve positive
results. The MD also fulfills all of the duties of a staff
veterinarian in addition to the specific responsibilities of
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
* Well-developed interpersonal skills.
* Ability to take information obtained from clients, staff, and
other sources, discern that which is credible, and assess the
hospital and/or a situation objectively.
* Ability to multi-task and deal with high levels of stress in
an environment of changing priorities.
* Is able to take charge, initiate actions, hold people
accountable, and delegate responsibilities in such a way as to
achieve positive results.
* Comfortably and confidently confronts difficult issues with
co-workers and is a skilled communicator at multiple levels within
* Is capable of, and willing to work the hours necessary to
accomplish the required responsibilities and ensure the smooth
operation of the hospital.
Education and Experience
* Doctor of Veterinary Medicine or equivalent from an accredited
* Stays up to date with changes in veterinary medicine, fulfills
VCA requirements for attending local VCA hosted CE, and completes a
minimum of 30 hours of accredited CE per calendar year.
* Maintains a current DEA license
Standards of Care
• Strives to meet or exceed the VCA and AAHA standards of
• Medical records are complete, detailed, and signed per VCA
• Demonstrates commitment to professional integrity and pursuit
• Practices ethical medicine at all times, and ensures the same
from associate doctors.
• Ensures positive communication with clients and between
doctors. This includes the
proper transfer of patient care responsibility between
• Implements information from CMO, RMD, ROD or their
• VCA email and correspondence is processed and addressed on a
• Treats all patients & clients with care and compassion,
remembering that the patient’s well-being is
the top priority.
• Oversees administration and case review of client medical
complaints and resolves the
problems when possible, while keeping the RMD and ROD informed
Staff Management: Professional Staff
* Implements and maintain consistent medical standards and
guidelines within the hospital.
* Evaluate quality medical/compliance reports on a monthly basis
and take steps to improve areas of poor performance.
* Organize systems for daily medical rounds and ensure they are
* Review patient records for completeness and accuracy and use
as a tool to promote medical excellence.
* Regularly discuss cases with doctors and/or staff to optimize
* Ensure that credit for procedures is accurately appropriated,
and review the detailed orders to
ensure that charges are captured and properly assigned.
* Ensure CE requirements are met by all doctors, and that CE
attended is relevant to the service mix and needs of the
* Conduct regular doctor meetings.
* Coordinate doctor coverage to make sure the hospital is
covered at all times.
* Assists recruiting efforts and field management team in the
hiring, disciplinary process, and the firing process of doctors as
* Actively manage all doctors to ensure that they meet expected
* Administer yearly reviews and development plans for all
associate doctors under the direction of the RMD or ROD.
* Appropriately manage controlled drugs (see VCA Controlled
Staff Management: Technicians/Assistants and Receptionists
* Assist the Hospital Manager in ensuring each staff meeting has
relevant topics, presenting a
medical topic if needed, and participate proactively in the
* Encourage all staff to increase knowledge through learning
* Review staff scheduling with the hospital manager’s attention
to assure maximum productivity and optimal client service.
Responsibilities as part of the hospital leadership team
* Works with the Hospital Manager and staff to deliver a
consistent medical message and consistent client experience to each
* Responsible for auditing hospital production for accuracy via
chart audits and other fee capture methods.
* Represents the hospital to the professional community and the
general public as requested.
* Evaluates the need for new medical equipment and works with
the Hospital Manager to
prepare and submit new equipment proformas to the ROD or their
* Brings to the Hospital Manager’s attention any problems with
physical plant cleanliness, safety,
* Participates in meetings or conference calls as requested by
field management staff.
* Participates in employee disciplinary procedures, and enforces
VCA and individual hospital
employee rules and policies.
* Review the P&L monthly with the Hospital Manager.
* Work with the HM to prepare and submit the yearly budget
(budget forecast, operating plan,
cap-ex expenditures) and participate in the evaluation process
with field management.
* Support the implementation of VCA marketing programs.
* Review and approve requests for alternatives of additional
drugs and medical supplies. Submit to the RMD or their
representative, for approval. Assist the medical supplies ordering
personnel to maintain a hospital pharmacy; assisting in evaluating
reasonable reorder points, generic alternatives, and eliminating
underused and redundant drugs.
As a member of the VCA family, your passion for medicine and
compassion for pets and people is matched with a commitment to your
professional growth. Among the reasons to consider joining VCA
Network of 3,800+ doctors, including more than 600
Largest provider of Private Practice Internships and Residencies
in the U.S.
WOOF University, offering abundant CE for Doctors and Staff.
Robust Clinical Studies program.
Opportunities to give back through strong Shelter partnerships
and VCA Charities.
Benefits: We offer competitive compensation along with a
comprehensive benefits package, including medical, dental, vision
and paid vacation/sick days, 401(k), generous employee pet
discounts and more!The information in this position description
indicates the general nature and level of work to be performed. It
is not designed to be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of
all duties, responsibilities, and qualifications required of
employees assigned to this job. Management reserves the right to
revise the job description or require that other tasks be performed
when the circumstances of the job change (for example, emergencies,
change in personnel, workload, or technical development).
Posted 30+ Days Ago
About Us VCA began in 1986 as a privately owned company with one
animal hospital. Today, we are the largest family of animal care
providers nationwide. Despite unprecedented growth, VCA has never
abandoned its devotion to compassionate, comprehensive pet care.
Take a look at our open positions throughout the U.S. and Canada!
We’re always looking for top notch talent to join the VCA