Lead Certified Wound Ostomy Continence Nurse (CWOCN)
Company: Sutter Health
Posted on: June 25, 2022
We are so glad you are interested in joining Sutter
Health!Organization:SCAH-Sutter Care at Home - BayPosition
Overview:The Lead Certified Wound Care Nurse (CWOCN) serves as a
clinical expert for wound, ostomy and continence related issues to
all clinical and administrative staff in their location. The Lead
CWOCN will provide oversight and management to wound, ostomy and
continence patients through digital and in-home consults. The Lead
CWOCN will provide wound, ostomy, and continence education to
clinical staff and play an accountable role in supply management
and utilization.Job Description:These Principal Accountabilities,
Requirements and Qualifications are not exhaustive, but are merely
the most descriptive of the current job. Management reserves the
right to revise the job description or require that other tasks be
performed when the circumstances of the job change (for example,
emergencies, staff changes, workload, or technical
WOUND & OSTOMY PATIENT MANAGEMENT:
- Reviews incoming consult requests and conduct or delegates to
Team WOCN/WCC in-home consult per timeline required by agency
- Completes digital consults of wound patients not requiring an
in-home consult or joint visits as necessary.
- Completes joint visits with home health clinicians for purpose
of staff education and skills training and reinforcement.--- Case
manages complex new ostomy patients as deemed necessary ---
Completes patient visits according to agency productivity
- Informs Administrator/Clinical Managers on management of wound
patients who are high utilizers.
- Collaborates with physicians and wound clinics in regards to
appropriate delivery of wound care in the home environment.
- Provides patient education on cause, prevention, and treatment
that promotes patient problem solving skills.
- Assists in orientation and competency of new nurses regarding
- Teaches comprehensive assessment documentation, correct digital
photo documentation, proper wound care technique and
multidisciplinary coordination by example in practice.
Quality Assurance and Performance Improvement:
- Serves as the clinical resource regarding wound/ostomy patient
care and policies and procedures
- Maintains OASIS and Integrated Care Management competency per
- Demonstrates knowledge of and actively participates in the
Quality Assurance and Performance Improvement program
- Completes peer audits as assigned
- Completes all documentation in a timely manner including
consents, billing and clinical forms per agency policy and
- Advises educational need of staff based on chart audit surveys,
direct requests from staff, feedback from managers.
- Provides consistent quality education and support to clinicians
regarding wound, ostomy and continence care, including clinical
indications and proper usage of all wound products.
- Leads Wound Rounds/Wound Education monthly or as needed
- Provides ongoing education for wound, ostomy, and continence to
location clinical staff
- Assists in updates of policy and procedure manuals
- Manages supply authorization and promotes judicious use and
cost effective practices for patient supply utilization; provides
product recommendations based on quality evidence based practice
with judicious cost utilization practices.
- Actively provides improvements in managing supply costs based
upon location challenges and utilization patterns
Other: Graduate of WOCN program with certification in wound and
Other: Continence certification highly preferred.
CERTIFICATION & LICENSURE
BLS-Basic Life Support Healthcare Provider
CWOCN-Certified Wound Ostomy Continence Nurse within 180 Days of
RN-Registered Nurse of California
OR CWS-Certified Wound Specialist
Continence certification recommended
3 Minimum of three years professional nursing experience
1 Prefer at least one-year home health experience and one-year
experience as a WOCN in any setting.
SKILLS AND KNOWLEDGE
Self-starter with a high degree of initiative, motivation,
flexibility, energy, and creativity.
Ability to form harmonious working relationships with internal and
Demonstrated leadership and negotiation skills and the ability to
manage resources for patient care in a cost effective manner.
Excellent collaborative and problem solving skills with customers
Ability to exercise independent sound judgment in planning and
providing patient care.
Demonstrated ability in physical, psychosocial, and environmental
assessment skills and in implementing plan of treatment.
Excellent organizational skills.
With appropriate training, demonstrates an ability to competently
work with the computerized documentation tools and systems of the
Access to a reliable automobile
PHYSICAL ACTIVITIES AND REQUIREMENTS
See required physical demands, mental components, visual activities
& working conditions at the following
link:License/Certifications:BLS-Basic Life Support Healthcare
Provider - American Heart Association, CWOCN-Certified Wound Ostomy
Continence Nurse - Wound, Ostomy and Continence Nursing,
CWS-Certified Wound Specialist - American Board of Wound
Management, RN-Registered Nurse of California - California
Department of Consumer AffairsEducation:Bachelor's (Required)Job
Shift:DaysSchedule:Full TimeShift Hours:8Days of the Week:Friday,
Monday, Thursday, Tuesday, WednesdayWeekend
Status:Non-ExemptWeekly Hours:40Employee Status:RegularNumber of
Openings:1Sutter Health Affiliates are equal opportunity employers
Keywords: Sutter Health, Concord , Lead Certified Wound Ostomy Continence Nurse (CWOCN), Healthcare , Concord, California
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!