Specialty Medical Director
Company: The American College of Radiation Oncology
Posted on: February 18, 2021
Description VCA Animal Hospitals operates more than 1,000 small
animal veterinary hospitals in the U.S., Canada and Japan. The
hospitals are staffed by more than 4,500 fully qualified, dedicated
and compassionate veterinarians to give pets the very best in
medical care, of which over 600 are board certified specialists who
are experts in areas such as oncology, cardiology, emergency and
critical care, and surgery for animals. VCA Animal Hospitals
provides a full range of general practice services to keep pets
well and specialized treatments when pets are ill. As part of the
Mars Veterinary Health family of brands, VCA is committed to its
purpose-A BETTER WORLD FOR PETS--.
VCA Capital Area Veterinary Emergency and Specialty
anAAHA-accredited, 24-hour emergency and specialty referral
practice in Concord, New Hampshire is looking for an experienced
Medical Director to lead our team!
We're looking for someone who exudes leadership! We are looking for
board certified or practice limited to candidates. We look forward
to hearing from you!
Concord, NH is the capital city of New Hampshire and is within 1
hour of the ocean and mountains yet only 1 hour to Boston, MA.
Known for its beautiful fall foliage and change of seasons, there
are plenty of activities year round to look forward to during your
time off. Concord was rated as "most livable city" in 2012 by
Boston Magazine, and is an ideal place to raise a family. We have a
moderate caseload affording a good quality of life and offer a
competitive salary and benefits package.
In addition to our Emergency Clinicians, we have specialists in
Internal Medicine, Surgery, Ophthalmology, Dermatology, Radiology
consultations via telemedicine, have access to outpatient
ultrasound and offer I-131 therapy. Our beautiful, new, 14,000 sq.
ft. facility is fully equipped with: continuous EKG monitoring,
Doppler BP, ultrasound (Logic 5), endoscopy (gastroduodenoscopy,
colonoscopy, bronchoscopy, rhinoscopy, and cystoscopy),
laparoscopy, and digital radiography.
The Medical Director (MD) under direction of the field management
team, is responsible for establishing the medical quality and
patient care practiced by all doctors in a given hospital. The MD
achieves this through strong leadership and serving as a mentor and
role model for the associate veterinarians and staff. A MD should
demonstrate a strong work ethic, integrity, and a consistent
positive attitude. The MD is also an integral part of the hospital
management team responsible for the overall financial performance
of the hospital, and helps create and drive the overall direction
for the hospital that will achieve positive results. The MD also
fulfills all of the duties of a staff veterinarian in addition to
the specific responsibilities of Medical Director.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
* Well-developed interpersonal skills.
* Ability to take information obtained from clients, staff, and
other sources, discern that which is credible, and assess the
hospital and/or a situation objectively.
* Ability to multi-task and deal with high levels of stress in an
environment of changing priorities.
* Is able to take charge, initiate actions, hold people
accountable, and delegate responsibilities in such a way as to
achieve positive results.
* Comfortably and confidently confronts difficult issues with
co-workers and is a skilled communicator at multiple levels within
* Is capable of, and willing to work the hours necessary to
accomplish the required responsibilities and ensure the smooth
operation of the hospital.
Education and Experience
* Doctor of Veterinary Medicine or equivalent from an accredited
* Stays up to date with changes in veterinary medicine, fulfills
VCA requirements for attending local VCA hosted CE, and completes a
minimum of 30 hours of accredited CE per calendar year.
* Maintains a current DEA license
Standards of Care
- Strives to meet or exceed the VCA and AAHA standards of
- Medical records are complete, detailed, and signed per VCA
- Demonstrates commitment to professional integrity and pursuit
- Practices ethical medicine at all times, and ensures the same
from associate doctors.
- Ensures positive communication with clients and between
doctors. This includes the
proper transfer of patient care responsibility between doctors.
- Implements information from CMO, RMD, ROD or their
- VCA email and correspondence is processed and addressed on a
- Treats all patients & clients with care and compassion,
remembering that the patient's well-being is
the top priority.
- Oversees administration and case review of client medical
complaints and resolves the
problems when possible, while keeping the RMD and ROD informed of
Staff Management: Professional Staff
* Implements and maintain consistent medical standards and
guidelines within the hospital.
* Evaluate quality medical/compliance reports on a monthly basis
and take steps to improve areas of poor performance.
* Organize systems for daily medical rounds and ensure they are
* Review patient records for completeness and accuracy and use as a
tool to promote medical excellence.
* Regularly discuss cases with doctors and/or staff to optimize
* Ensure that credit for procedures is accurately appropriated, and
review the detailed orders to
ensure that charges are captured and properly assigned.
* Ensure CE requirements are met by all doctors, and that CE
attended is relevant to the service mix and needs of the
* Conduct regular doctor meetings.
* Coordinate doctor coverage to make sure the hospital is covered
at all times.
* Assists recruiting efforts and field management team in the
hiring, disciplinary process, and the firing process of doctors as
* Actively manage all doctors to ensure that they meet expected
* Administer yearly reviews and development plans for all associate
doctors under the direction of the RMD or ROD.
* Appropriately manage controlled drugs (see VCA Controlled
Staff Management: Technicians/Assistants and Receptionists
* Assist the Hospital Manager in ensuring each staff meeting has
relevant topics, presenting a
medical topic if needed, and participate proactively in the
* Encourage all staff to increase knowledge through learning
* Review staff scheduling with the hospital manager's attention to
assure maximum productivity and optimal client service.
Responsibilities as part of the hospital leadership team
* Works with the Hospital Manager and staff to deliver a consistent
medical message and consistent client experience to each
* Responsible for auditing hospital production for accuracy via
chart audits and other fee capture methods.
* Represents the hospital to the professional community and the
general public as requested.
* Evaluates the need for new medical equipment and works with the
Hospital Manager to
prepare and submit new equipment proformas to the ROD or their
* Brings to the Hospital Manager's attention any problems with
physical plant cleanliness, safety,
* Participates in meetings or conference calls as requested by
field management staff.
* Participates in employee disciplinary procedures, and enforces
VCA and individual hospital
employee rules and policies.
* Review the P&L monthly with the Hospital Manager.
* Work with the HM to prepare and submit the yearly budget (budget
forecast, operating plan,
cap-ex expenditures) and participate in the evaluation process with
* Support the implementation of VCA marketing programs.
* Review and approve requests for alternatives of additional drugs
and medical supplies. Submit to the RMD or their representative,
for approval. Assist the medical supplies ordering personnel to
maintain a hospital pharmacy; assisting in evaluating reasonable
reorder points, generic alternatives, and eliminating underused and
As a member of the VCA family, your passion for medicine and
compassion for pets and people is matched with a commitment to your
professional growth. Among the reasons to consider joining VCA
- Network of 3,800+ doctors, including more than 600
- Largest provider of Private Practice Internships and
Residencies in the U.S.
- WOOF University, offering abundant CE for Doctors and
- Robust Clinical Studies program.
- Opportunities to give back through strong Shelter partnerships
and VCA Charities.
- Job ID: 55472061
Concord, New Hampshire, United States
- Position Title: Specialty Medical Director Please refer to the
company's website or job descriptions to learn more about them. VCA
M Oncology Regional Medical Scientific Director,... 2001 6th Ave,
Suite 2700 Seattle, Washington 98121 (206) 956-3650
Keywords: The American College of Radiation Oncology, Concord , Specialty Medical Director, Executive , Concord, California
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!