Instrument Engineer V
Company: Hargrove Engineers + Constructors
Posted on: March 18, 2023
Who We Are
Hargrove Engineers & Constructors supplies unparalleled services in
engineering, procurement, construction management, and technical
services in the industrial, commercial, and government sectors.
With over 2,000 Teammates across the US, we build long-term support
relationships in the energy generation, manufacturing, research and
development, and process-heavy industry in on-site support
arrangements, in plant-level small projects and consulting roles,
and in larger capital projects.
Hargrove's key operating principle is to provide the Right People,
in the Right Place, at the Right Time. We believe that
relationships and partnering together provide the best results and
long-term benefits for our clients.
Work-life balance and flexibility is a key focus area for Hargrove.
We're happy to discuss flexible working hours, patterns, and
locations to suit you and the business.
- Bachelor or Master of Science degree in Electrical Engineering
from an accredited university is required. - -
- Professional Engineering registration is highly preferred or
may be required.
- This position requires 6 or more years of relevant industrial
experience in electrical and instrumentation engineering.
- Knowledge and application of the current version of the
National Electrical Code (NEC).
- Ability to perform lighting level calculations.
- Ability to size wire, conduit and overcurrent protection for
both lighting and power applications.
- Ability to perform voltage drop calculations.
- Ability to route conduit and cable tray.
- Ability to calculate tray and conduit fill.
- Ability to determine motor control center loading.
- Familiarity with specifications and installation details of
construction bulk materials and equipment.
- Ability to create accurate electrical installation documents
from the information found on vendor equipment drawings.
- Ability to determine load center unit substation
- Ability to develop equipment specifications for equipment such
as motor control centers, variable frequency drivers, induction and
synchronous motors, load center unit substations, etc.
- Knowledge and understanding of schedule constraints and
information requirements for the production of all electrical
- Ability to produce a 15kV power system single line
- Familiarity with 15kV power system equipment and installation
techniques both above and below ground.
- Ability to develop equipment specifications for 15kV/5kV
equipment such as switchgear, load break switches, motor control
center and capable of performing calculations for required short
circuit and overcurrent protective device ratings.
- Ability to develop electrical installation
- Ability to accurately estimate completion of assigned
- Ability to develop a construction cost estimate, a detailed
engineering schedule and a man-hour budget for a small project or
an area for a larger project.
- Ability to determine construction material quantities.
- Ability to contribute to the development of P&ID's with
respect to measurement and control.
- Ability to develop control narratives.
- Ability to specify process instrumentation and develop
- Ability to size control valves using appropriate
- Ability to develop specifications and data sheets for
instrumentation, analyzers, control systems and actuated
- Knowledge of the standards that apply to instrumentation and
- Ability to act as discipline engineer of record for projects
that require professional engineering certification.
- Knowledge and application of company engineering design and CAD
- Programming experience with Programmable Logic controller
(PLC), Human Machine Interface (HMI), and/or Distributed Control
System (DCS) equipment.
- Ability to lead a small team to deliver on
- Ability to deliver presentations of Hargrove Engineers +
- Working knowledge of CAD software, either AutoCAD, Microstation
- Proficient in the use of Microsoft Word, Excel and
- Excellent communication skills, both verbal and
- Excellent presentation skills.
- Virtual team skills and cross divisional relationships are
developed, and able to provide interoffice execution leadership and
What You'll Be Doing
Generally responsible for performing all aspects for complete
design of complex electrical and instrumentation engineering
assignments. This level requires extensive progressive experience
in electrical and instrumentation engineering and involves applying
advanced engineering techniques and analysis. This work will be
performed under general supervision.
Primary responsibilities will include but not be limited to:
- Familiarity with and utilize department design and drafting
- Familiarity with project scope, specifications and design
criteria upon assignment to a project task team.
- Recognize and communicate scope and design changes
- On-site assistance during startup.
- Provide technical guidance to less experienced drafting and
engineering personnel in the department.
- Coordinate work activities with other staff members and the
- To perform duties as a discipline lead on a small to mid-sized
- Producing estimate level designs and material take-offs
suitable for the level of the estimate being performed on a
- Producing detail design calculations and sketches for materials
of construction associated with the project. Calculations produced
will be neatly prepared and organized for efficient checking by
others and efficient use by drafters/designers for preparing
drawings and as a deliverable when required.
- Produce 15kV/5kV equipment specifications.
- Produce electrical installation specifications.
- Developing conceptual layouts and cost studies as necessary to
determine the simplest, most efficient approach to solving
engineering tasks at hand.
- Producing estimate level preliminary designs and material
take-offs suitable for the level of the estimate being performed on
- Produce installation details, motor control center single
lines, electric room layouts, motor control elementaries,
connection diagrams, cable schedules, control panel layouts and
grounding, lighting, power and instrumentation plans under general
- Producing designs with efficient use of construction materials
with an overall emphasis on ease of construction and completed
product meeting the expectations of the client.
- Checking calculations made by other engineers to ensure
accuracy, conformance to codes, specifications, design criteria and
conformance to good engineering practice.
- Assisting the drafting group in resolving routine layout and
detailing problems. It is your responsibility to furnish sufficient
sketches and details necessary for completion of engineering
- Consulting with design leaders from other disciplines to ensure
the smooth flow of vital information necessary for the scheduled
completion of the project.
- Advising the senior engineer concerning design or scope
changes, which have been identified.
- Assisting other engineers in developing and assembling scopes,
drawings and specifications into a "package", enabling
electrical/instrumentation purchase inquiries to be issued for
procurement of materials or subcontract pricing.
- Reviewing and checking vendor drawings and other discipline
drawings for electrical/instrumentation input.
- Developing construction specifications.
- Reviewing fabrication drawings and other construction
submittals for conformance to engineering drawings and
- Performing fieldwork necessary to gather field data, check
tie-ins and provide construction support.
- Knowledgeable of the discipline specific methods, practices and
techniques required to engineer design and construct process and
- Applying advanced engineering techniques and analysis to
- Estimating and scheduling professional service hours and
assessing the progress and quality of electrical/instrumentation
- Complete understanding of the skills and experience required to
perform engineering and design functions.
- Ability to identify and develop work sharing packages for
interoffice execution support. Provide leadership to ensure
communication and execution of work within scope, schedule and
Below is the range that we in good faith believe is the potential
compensation for this role at the time of this posting and is only
applicable for jobs to be performed in California. - The typical
base salary range for this position is just one component of
Hargrove's total compensation package for Teammates. - Actual
compensation will be based on education, experience, skill set and
Minimum Salary: $129,043.20 annual
Maximum Salary: $193,564.80 annual
We work to create an environment founded on trust, personal
integrity, and a "team mentality" so that each person understands
the value of their contributions both on a project and company-wide
level. We know that each person on our team contributes to the
success of our company by pairing expertise and passion to meet and
exceed the needs of the clients we serve across the globe.
Our safety culture protects and promotes the well-being of every
person who works with us and every person touched by our work.
Keywords: Hargrove Engineers + Constructors, Concord , Instrument Engineer V, Engineering , Concord, California
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!
Loading more jobs...